On Wednesday, May 14th, 2014 at 5:00 a.m., the City of Sweetwater Police Department will be hosting an active shooter response tactical training mock drill at the Dolphin Mall, located at: 11401 Northwest 12 Street Sweetwater, Florida 33174.
This drill shall expose Sweetwater Patrol Officers to the threat of an active shooter, in a populated shopping mall and also exercise responding Officer’s resolve during a simulated victim rescue. The second phase of the drill shall trigger the activation and response of the Sweetwater Police Department’s SWAT & K-9 team, who will practice support, threat engagement and hostage rescue techniques. Deployment of our ballistic vehicle(s) and aviation element is expected. The third phase of the drill shall activate multi-agency tactical support, at which time the responding Agencies are then exposed to simulated violent offenders who need to be neutralized. This phase shall give birth to a hostage / barricaded subject scenario.
Some of the law Agencies that have confirmed are:
- U.S. Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration
- Coral Gables Police Department, SWAT & K-9
- Medley Police Department, K-9 Unit
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Immigration & Customs Enforcement
- Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Tactical Support Element
- Virginia Gardens Police Department, Tactical Support Element
- North Miami Beach Police Department, SWAT
- Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservative Commission, Special Operations Group
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Enforcement Removal Operations
- Hialeah Police Department, SWAT
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Department, SWAT
- Homestead Police Department, SWAT
The fourth phase of this evolution shall test radio communications tactical field interoperability during emergency circumstances. Not all Law Enforcement Communication systems can freely interact with each other. As an antidote, the Sweetwater Police Department shall be deploying a C-AT, ICRI, Tactical Interface box in order to combine connectivity between the radios of the responding tactical elements and the SPD. This phase shall gauge several aspects of radio connectivity for lifesaving purposes.
At 0455, the Sweetwater Police Department shall stand-up a media staging location in the parking lot of the Dolphin Mall. Attending media outlets are encouraged to meet hear for sound bites, questions or video. A Sweetwater Police Department representative shall be onsite to assist you.
Law Enforcement Agencies wishing to attend, please contact Capt. Jorge Fernandez de Lara at 305-552-9900 no later than Friday, May 2nd, 2014. He can be reached at Ph: 786-459-3637
Download a PDF copy of this announcement: Active Shooter Response Tactical Training Mock Drill